Your cousin’s wedding is tomorrow night. You RSVP-ed months ago, so best to at least make an appearance. The invitation says “Black Tie Optional”; you have nothing to wear. You run to the store after work, end up buying a dress that doesn’t fit quite right, isn’t a great color or style for you, and costs more than you were hoping to spend. Chances of ever wearing this frock again – slim to none! Sound familiar?
Image courtesy of stockimages / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
A little wardrobe planning will save you time, money, and a few headaches down the road. The most efficient and effective way to maintain the best working wardrobe, is to actually schedule an appointment with your closet seasonally. Two to four times a year, plan some time to review your wardrobe needs for the coming season, clear your closet of the items that are no longer working, and make a shopping list.
Review Wardrobe Needs
- Shop your closet first
- May only need a new piece (top, accessory, etc.) as oppose to a whole new outfit
- Add just a splash
- Only what you love and reflects your personal style
Clear Out What No Longer Works
- Make sure you can see all items in your closet
- Hang everything possible
- Remove plastic bags, boxes, etc.
- Invest in a shoe rack or clear boxes, so all options seen
- Organize like items
- Pants, blouses, day shoe, dress shoes, etc.
- Is it flattering?
- Accentuates the positives/ detracts from the negatives
- Good color
- Is it in good condition?
- Can it be repaired? Is it worth the cost?
- Does it portray your personal style and how you wish to be perceived?
- Do you feel great when you wear it?
- If it holds bad memories, get rid of it
- If it holds good memories but no longer works with your wardrobe, put in another closet or a box under the bed
Create a Shopping List
Next time that special occasion creeps up on you – no worries – you will be wardrobe ready!
I want to take the business of me to the next level! I’m looking for an executive coach that will provide hands-on instruction, feedback and counseling to help me move my career and business forward. I need someone who will check in with me on a regular basis! I want to make more money!
"Diahann is a wonderful resource and an expert in assisting highly motivated professionals focused on growing their career. Diahann has the experience and instincts to provide thoughtful guidance in helping any professional expand their ability to effectively produce results. She is creative, analytical, professional and personable at every step. I highly recommend Diahann to any professional motivated to reach the next level." ~ Jonathan